Top 10 facts about energy
- 1/3 of your residential power bill is spent on energy that is wasted and
produces no benefit for you.
- Utility prices are going in one directionup (unless you generate your
- An energy efficiency upgrade is the most effective way to increase the
value of your home. Every $1 spent on a solar system increases your home value
- Electricity costs are not going down (14% rate increase in southern Nevada,
- Solar panels are a fixed investment. They are warranteed for 25 years but
their potential service life is unlimited. Once payback is reached, they
provide free power. Some panels have been in service for 50 years.
- Water in the Southwest is a finite resource that will continue to cost
moreand water heating is a major energy use in your home, so water costs
- Oil has reached its peak production based on the world's available
reserves. There will be less and less oil available, and the costs will
- 80% of energy is lost from electrical generation, including generating and
transmission inefficiences. When you generate electricity from panels on your
roof, there is no loss from fuel waste, transportation or transmission
- Upgrading your home for energy efficiency can return 10% or more yearly on
your investment in energy savings. What other investment earns that much?
- The kilowatt-hour you don't buy is the cheapest kilowatt-hour of all.
Top 10 environmental reasons to reduce energy use:
- If carbon emissions are not reduced, scientists predict 25% of the
worlds plant and animal species will be extinct by 2050.
- Homes account for 20% of US energy consumption, but this could easily be
reduced by 20% through conservation alone.
- If global temperatures rise 2 to 3°C, there will be 30% less snow
pack in the Rocky Mountains and 60% less water content in that snowpack. The
Maple forests of New England will move into northern Maine and Southern Canada.
- Living green is a step toward gaining control over your life. It costs
less, is less complicated, minimizes your impact on the environment, helps you
live within your means, and encourages an attitude of mindfulness about what is
really important in life.
- Drilling and mining for fossil fuels destroys habitats, which leads to
extreme weather including droughts, reduces our food supply, destroys resources
we depend on which in turn destroys the balance of governments, financial and
social systems throughout the world.
- Buildings are the single largest contributor to emissions that cause global
warming, and use half the energy generated in the U.S.
- Rising world temperatures at the current rate will cause oceans to rise 3'
within 100 years, which will inundate shorelines where half the U.S. population
lives. Millions of people around the world will be displaced.
- Burning fossil fuels generates methane and carbon dioxide (greenhouse
gases), sulfur dioxide (acid rain), small particulates (lung diseases),
nitrogen oxide (acid rain, smog, green house gas), carbon monoxide. volatile
hydrocarbons, mercury, arsenic and leadall of which you breathe and
ingest, as do your kids.
- Atmospherice CO2 is higher than it has been in the last 65,000 years. At
current rates, CO2 in the atmosphere will trigger potentially irreversible
glacial melt and sea level rise out of humanitys control by
- "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to
get better. It's not." Theodor S. Geisel